Ramadan: The Month of the Qur’an
The Qur’an is a book with which most people know about, but of which many are not intimated with. This month is perhaps the best month in which we can dedicate the time to learning and understanding the Qur’an. Learning about, and understanding Islam is necessary for every Muslim (fard al ‘ayn), and moreso for the Muslims amongst us who do da’wah and engage in apologetics (the intellectual defense of Islam). A good place to start in our study of Islam, is in the passages of the Qur’an. Islam’s scripture. To kick off your engaging with the Qur’an, I’ve assembled a list of links that I think would help both Muslims and non-Muslims understand the Qur’an:
- Get a free digital copy of the Qur’an, in modern English (alongside the Arabic), with inline modern English commentary: Qur’an Made Easy (Amazon Kindle, PC, Smartphones).
- Learn About the Qur’an’s Preservation and its Textual History: A Critical Analysis of Jay Smith’s Claims About the Qur’an.
- Learn About the Qur’an’s passages and their analyses with Ustadh Nouman Ali Khan: In Depth Analysis and Tafsir of the Qur’an.
- Listen to the Entire Qur’an’s Recitation in Arabic: YouTube Arabic Recitation of the Qur’an with English Translation.
- Learn About the Qur’an’s Amazing Rhetorical Arguments, Literary Styles, Historical Claims and more on Br. Sharif’s Blog: Qur’anic Musings.
I’ll update this list as the month of Ramadan progresses.
“كِتَابٌ أَنزَلْنَاهُ إِلَيْكَ لِتُخْرِجَ النَّاسَ مِنَ الظُّلُمَاتِ إِلَى النُّورِ بِإِذْنِ رَبِّهِمْ إِلَىٰ صِرَاطِ الْعَزِيزِ الْحَمِيدِ”
“[This is] a Book which We have revealed to you, [O Muhammad], that you might bring mankind out of darknesses into the light by permission of their Lord – to the path of the Exalted in Might, the Praiseworthy.” – Qur’an 14:1.
and Allah knows best.