There is a misconception that da’wah/islah involves simply ‘spreading the message of Islam’, whether through articles, videos, or conversations. Da’wah or Islah is much more than this. As a da’ee, I don’t see myself as just an author or Muslim speaker, I recognize that I bear the responsibility of serving the worldwide community, because as a Muslim I must follow my Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him and his family and his companions), and seeing as he is titled a ‘mercy to mankind’ by the Creator Himself:
وَمَا أَرْسَلْنَاكَ إِلَّا رَحْمَةً لِّلْعَالَمِينَ
And We have not sent thee except as a mercy unto the Worlds. – Qur’aan 21:107.
Therefore, I have joined many humanitarian causes and today I am proud to announce that I’ve attended a workshop that has certified me in attending to Domestic Violence victims, this has given me the tools and the knowledge the counsel, reach out to and care for victims while they recover or seek help from this traumatic societal ill:
For security and privacy purposes my name has been crossed out. I intend to use this certificate as I become more active in the Muslim community and as I take upon the responsibility as a peer counselor at my University. As a Muslim, it is my responsibility to love, care and protect my fellow brothers and sisters in the world, from any harm or ill will. Remember, da’wah and islah isn’t just to speak kind words or produce new arguments, we do da’wah and islah because we want to benefit mankind and make a lasting change in the lives of people everywhere.
For Muslims who face domestic abuse or would like counselling, you can visit the following links inshaaAllaah:
- Br. Ijaz can be contacted through this link, all discussion is kept private and confidential.
- Nour Domestic Violence Website and Facebook Page.
- Imams Against Domestic Abuse.
- Imam Abdullah Hasan who is part of IADA.
- If you live in Trinidad, call 800-SAVE and ask to speak to someone at Madinah House.
- If you live in Trinidad, call the Darul Uloom and ask to speak to Shaykh Fazeel.
- If you live in Trinidad, you can speak to Imam Hisham Mohammed of the Santa Cruz Masjid.
wa Allaahu ‘alam.